Monday, August 10, 2009

good weekend, unpleasant Monday morning surprise

This morning I had my first Kampala cockroach encounter.... not a pleasant one. The roach came scurrying out of a cupboard in my room. (It was close to the size of my thumb.) I think we both froze when we saw each other. I screamed a little and then sat on my bed staring it down, trying to figure out what to do. I had naively thought that since my apartment is cleaned everyday that I would be spared these moments. When I eventually approached it, with a shoe in hand, it scurried towards my suitcases (that are not completely unpacked yet) so I had to cut it off by spraying it with cleaning spray. It then started up my fan (yes they can climb) and I was finally able to whack it with my shoe. When it hit the ground I sprayed it a little more for good measure and then left it there. I am hoping they will see it and then spray my apartment today! I have my fingers crossed that when I move to the fourth floor at the end of the month, I will have no more critters.

Other than that it was a good weekend. I went out with a friend of a friend on Friday night and then spent yesterday lounging by the pool at the country club.

Thanks to Jules and TJ for being so prompt in posting pictures from the weekend - Congratulations Tara and Ryan!

No comments:

Post a Comment