Sunday, August 16, 2009

Birthday Celebrations

In an effort to avoid moping on my birthday I put together a series of events to keep busy.

Friday night I met some new friends for dinner and discovered the horror of Kampala traffic. I had experienced rush hour traffic my first week there, but at that time the bodas (motorbike taxis) were still getting through. Friday night I got stuck in gridlock, cars were turned off and no one was getting anywhere. I was incredibly frustrated and the thought of going home occurred more than one - I did however realize that might take even longer. Luckily I stuck it out and arrived only shortly after the group I meeting. I had an unbelievable steak, cooked just the way I like it, with a variety of sides. Not only was the meal great - but dinner, a bottle of water and 2 beers only cost $12!!!

Saturday kicked off with various birthday greetings - Thank you. Mid-morning I headed to the Kabira Club for a great work out. They have a lot of equipment circa 1995 from Italy, including a row machine that lets you race the computer....I anything involving competition keeps me excited about my workout. After a quick lunch I headed to the new spa that opened near me and had a pedicure. The spa meets all the standards of ones at home at a fraction of the cost. I will definitely be visiting it often. My fellow ex-pat co-workers Rudaba (from Bangladesh), Juliana (from Ghana) and Thomas (from Norway) took me out for a great dinner at a Turkish restaurant - that looks to be a great pub to visit too!

Overall it was a good celebration - while maybe not as memorable as my 30th on Kilimanjaro - it was another East African Celebration which in itself makes it special.

No comments:

Post a Comment