Thursday, August 6, 2009

Cash is King...

...Credit Card users beware!!
Over the past few years I have become completely accustomed to using plastic for all of my purchases and have been known to have no cash at all. Well that is about to change!
I knew that I wouldn't be able to use debit for purchases but was hoping to use my credit card for major purchases, phone service etc. and then I would just pay it online. This way I would avoid the horrendous $5 fee every time I take out money. I have quickly discovered that only very few places accept credit cards, and those that do may charge a service fee or a horrendous exchange rate.
Take for example my new gym membership - I paid for a year up front - the price is advertised in USD and I had to pay a 5% surcharge. I didn't pay too much attention to the transaction, figuring they would use the standard exchange that I had heard elsewhere ($1USD=2000UGX). Needless to say I was a little surprised when I looked at the transaction record online. They use their own rate which made my membership cost around $140USD more!!! I will have to make good use of the Country Club now!!
So my lesson learned this week is that things just don't work the way I am used to and I am going to have to adjust to living in a cash-based society!

No comments:

Post a Comment