Sunday, October 30, 2011

leaving Mali

What an incredible week this has been - I have seen so much in such a very short period of time and it is a lot to take in.  I am pretty sure that this blog about running is going to get a lot less interesting next week!


Friday morning I went out for a run - I ran a bit further than I had previously and am pretty sure that I was faster.  I will be getting myself a watch soon so I can figure the speed out!  I think I smiled for most of my run which I guess means that I am beginning to enjoy it.  A definite highlight for me was when someone applauded me for running - if i can always have that sort of encouragement over the next year I am sure I will make it!

After grabbing a small croissant it was off to work we went.  We headed to the Sports Centre for what I thought would be a press conference.  It turned out is was a conference on leadership in sport (that had media at it).  This was an important event to help increase awareness about Right To Play and Sport for Development in Mali.




I had been worried I might be expected to contribute in French (as my colleague Jules did at a similar event last year) but luckily I was just in the audience.  It was HOT in the room and I must admit that by the end of it I was suffering from a bit of a sugar low - I think that my run, after not drinking much water for a few days and not eating much breakfast, did me in!  A coke and a cliff bar gave me some much needed energy on the drive to meet with the Mali Youth Parliament.


Our time with the Youth group was incredible.  I was so moved by the poise, strength and articulation of the young group.  I believe they will be the change makers in the country.  Adam asked them each to tell us their dream for Mali and the responses were more powerful than I can possibly describe.  To sum it up they all hope for a time when rights for all children are recognized and that they all have the opportunity to finish school and be able to earn income.  They see a bright future.  On one had these youth were such a contrast to the group we met with Ouroun (that are part of a Youth Initiative) but on the other they have the same dreams - to improve lives.  I hope that that two groups will be connected as that could be life changing for them all.  Clara made an excellent point in speaking to the Youth Parliament - she said her medals were the 'tools' she needed to  make change and spread the message of Right To Play but that the parliament was the 'tools' for these youth and it is what they choose to do with those tools that will make a difference in the future.




It has been a week of extremes - we went from meeting the Youth Parliamentarians to visiting a detention centre for youth.  I don't really know what I expected when I arrived but for some reason I was really surprised to see that they were locked into rooms - it was a detention centre after all.  We waited for a while and then the young men came out to play.  They got such joy out of the games  - the same games we have played all week, the same games I play in Toronto - it was pretty incredible.  We had a fairly competitive game of basket ball with a small hard ball (perhaps I was playing hand ball?). You might not be surprised to hear I managed to get a ball in the head - luckily it was Adam that did it and not one of the boys as they would have felt pretty bad.






The visit was a great way to cap off a week of non-stop activity and it was amazing to see the smiles and spirit that the games brought the young men.


We had a break at the hotel and then headed out to one last celebration with the team.  In the style of every Right To Play event that I have been to the evening involved dancing - and everyone had to dance.  There was a traditional Malian band and dancers that were pretty incredible.  I have to note that up to this evening I had never seen a North American be able to keep up with African dancers - they really just put us to shame and make us look like amateurs.  Things changed early in the evening when out of no where Adam went head to head with one of the hired African dancers - it was a truly remarkable sight and I don't think I was the only one that was surprised.  After a bite to eat the band began to call people up - to dance in the middle of the circle - I was the first one called up and am pretty sure I was the colour of a tomoato - partly due to the heat but mostly to my discomfort with my pathetic dance skills.






That being said it was a wonderful celebration to end such an amazing week.  The team here in Mali are so full of passion - passion for the children, the work, laughter and each other.  It was amazing to be surrounded by them this week.  And I know how hard they all worked to make it a successful visit for the group that I brought over.  Thank you, thank you and thank you again.


Left with some free time before leaving Mali we set out for an adventure.  At the conference Adam had learned of a village that had started a Kayak club so the group set off to see what it was all about.  When we arrived the group was so thrilled and honoured to have the World Champion join them - I am not sure that I can grasp what it meant for them.  We planned to just stay for a while - leave Adam to work with the group - and then head for some sight seeing in a village near by but it turned out that there was an opportunity for us all to participate.  Having never kayaked before I was up for the challenge!  I set off in a boat (more of a canoe than a kayak) with two men from the club and quickly realized how difficult it was to paddle upstream!  As soon as the pair I was with saw the Champion we had to paddle 'vite, vite, vite' to catch up - I was sweating buckets!  I quickly developed a blister on my thumb but then got a quick lesson from Adam on how to paddle a bit better and more comfortably.


Adam heading out 

Adam taking Moise for a spin in a boat
Moise had never seen a kayak - let alone be in one


traditional boat on the Niger River

various boats along the Niger

Trying to catch up
(I am at the front of the boat in the back!)

My first kayak injury

After a meeting with the mayor our group spilt and I headed to Sibi while others returned to Bamako.  I wasn't sure what we would see in Sibi but we were told it was something to see.  It was a rock formation that was an arch.  I guess that many people rock climb there but we just walked around.  





It was also market day so we were treated to all kinds of sights and sounds as we wandered through the town.




Our final day in Bamako was a very quiet one.  I didn't make it out for a run but did have a good walk in the park and an opportunity to check out a photo exhibit that I saw being put up as I ran during the week.  We all reconvened at 2pm to go on a shopping mission....which started with changing money, then lunch (one of the best meals we have had here - thank you Daff!), a visit to Daff's home to meet his wonderful family and the  to the market.  I quickly discovered that I suffer from market fatigue....the bargaining was just more than I was up for.  This is probably a good thing considering all of the curios and jewelry I have from previous trips.

What a week - I do look forward to heading home but will carry the experience home with me and look forward to returning.

No comments:

Post a Comment