Wednesday, October 26, 2011

First run in Bamako

It is amazing that it is only Tuesday night - so much has happened since I re-started this blog on Saturday and I feel like I am a world away from my condo in downtown Toronto.


We flew from Toronto to Brussels - a flight that had more babies on it than should ever be in one place (other than a mommies and me class)!  We are still joking about the orchestra if cries.  After a couple of hours of 'getting to know each other' time at the airport we boarded the flight to Bamako.  (The group consists of Adam van Koeverden (@vankayak, www.vankayak.com), Clara Hughes (www.clara-hughes.com/), one of Right To Play's corporate partners that I work with and a photographer.)  Discussions ranged from the practices of mining companies to the the type of coffee we all enjoyed.  The flight to Bamako was a rest time.


Upon arrival we were greeted by the warm weather - it was HOT!  After quickly making it through customs we waited for our bags.  I should clarify as it was only the women (Clara, the photographer and myself) who waited - in typical gender fashion them men only had carry-on.  We received 4 of the 5 bags - unfortunately Clara was missing a bag -the one with her clothes and running shoes!  That being said everyone was in great spirits as we were greeted by the Mali Team!


We travelled in two Right To Play cars to the hotel.  I was struck by how familiar yet how different the streets were.  Familiar because like any other sub-saharan country I have visited there are more people on the street, and more things being sold than you could ever imagine.  The streets are alive.  Different because I found that there is more colour here - the men and women where vibrant prints....a bit similar to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania but there is more.  Also different because the roads we travelled on were so well maintained.  (This seems to be in large part due to the funding from Gaddafi.)  We quickly dropped our belongings and headed out for a walk.  We were shown a great route to the National Park - a suggested location for running.  On our way back from the hotel we had an opportunity to watch a football match. An interesting experience - only men were watching and women were selling snacks.  Apparently they don't like football that much.


After dinner and some emails I was out cold.  I planned to run on Monday morning but without setting an alarm I slept just about until it was time to go.  The day started with a visit to the Mali office to meet the staff.  It was fabulous to see Moise again - he visited Canada earlier this year!  While I quickly realized how inadequate my french was I also realized how welcoming and understanding the team from Mali was.  In three and a half years I have always been struck by how incredible the Right To Play staff in the field are.  We had an opportunity to introduce ourselves and explain why we are here in Mali and what we hope to achieve.  It was incredible to listed to Clara and Adam - they have a remarkable sense of responsibility for and knowledge of the programs that they represent.  Both express themselves so well and were able to inspire and motivate the team.  We were warned it would be a busy week with lots of "office, office, office and play, play, play".  


Late in the day we visited a school with a refurbished basketball court that girls were playing on and that a big crowd came to watch.


From what I gather the school had upwards of 3000 students generally 100+ to a classroom.  It was amazing how many came to watch. 

From the school we headed to a community centre for another girls basketball match.  The girls were great players and very competitive - we were happy we were not out there with them.

The day wound down back at the hotel  - first with a group beer and then later off to dinner with some of the Mali staff.  


Leaving dinner I committed myself to getting up and going for a run - I knew if I didn't my running coach, Julia, would have my head!  (And being surrounded by two of Canada's most famous Olympians and having told them I will be running the marathon really means that I have to keep this up!)


My alarm went off at 615 and I dragged myself out of bed, got my contacts in and into my new running capris and off I went.  I reached the park just as it opened....or so I thought.  It was 630 and they told me not until 7 but I was convincing in my very poor french.  I probably ran for about 35 - 40 minutes this morning and overall did not feel great - it was hot and my legs felt like lead - that being said I did have moments when I thought to myself....I could come to love this.  I got lost in the park and came across the museum that has some outdoor exhibits.  Overall - very glad that I made it out.


Today was a busy day....but I will have to save it for another entry as its late and I hope to run again tomorrow morning.  I do need to add that I am inspired by some many things that I have heard and seen over the past two days.  I have always looked to the challenge of running a marathon and when the opportunity arose to do it through work I jumped on it - the reason I will train for the marathon is not only to get myself into shape is to raise money for Right To Play and to support these programs that I am fortunate enough to visit.  I will try to remember the experience I have had in Africa as I train through the bitter cold of winter and aim to gain more distance (and hopefully one day pick up some speed!)

No comments:

Post a Comment