Thursday, November 5, 2009

Yoga?

While I may own more Lulu Lemon Yoga attire than any one person needs I must admit I have never really gotten into doing yoga. (The clothes are good for much more than just yoga - I occasionally try to get away with wearing my lulu pants to the office!) I dabbled with classes when I lived in Australia, did some sweaty yoga in Toronto and followed a video in Kenya.

After traveling to Fort Portal last month with Els, Angela and Alison and listening to them talk about how great their yoga class was I began to contemplate trying it again. After the past three months of trying to maximize my overpriced gym membership, I was feeling somewhat in shape and figured Yoga would be a breeze. So earlier this week I suggested to the ladies that I would come to the Wednesday class and that after we could sort out dresses for the Marine Ball. Clearly I was thinking that it would be a walk in the park and we would not be at all sweaty.

The class started at 6pm and is on the opposite side of town. Lucky for me I was able to get a ride with Elly - Alison's driver. Shortly before it started I began to get a bit nervous....what if I couldn't do any of the poses? Would it be hot? Should I wear my lulu headband...or would that be taking it too far? Helle, the instructor, started the class by having us all blow our noses as we would be working on nasal breathing - my doubt about yoga really began to kick in...

BUT then the class started - the breathing actually felt good! After some time focussed on breathing we began a number of different movements. It was not at all easy and wow was it hot. I almost felt like it could be sweaty yoga. The class ended with meditation and then lying back on the ground. As we all lay there, Helle went around and covered us with blankets and put a beanbag-type thing across our eyes - pure relaxation. I am not sure how long I lay there but it was amazing.

So the lesson of the day - Yoga is not easy, it is a work out and you feel great after it!

After the class we headed to Alison's, had a great dinner and sorted out dresses for the Marine Ball!

1 comment: