Saturday, November 28, 2009

Boda Beware

I have debated over the past 3 weeks about whether this incident should be shared on my blog but have decided that it is important for people to know that there are some dangers in Kampala.  While for the most part it is a safe city people need to be aware of the Bodas (the motor bikes).  After the Marine Ball I went to the Iguana Bar, where I end up almost every weekend.  At 4am I decided it was definitely time to go home.  I left the bar on my own as I didn't want the guys to worry about me getting home.  I then made the decision to take a boda as opposed to a taxi as I felt he was charging too much.  To put this into perspective I was haggling over about $2.  Before getting on the bike one of the guys that is always at the bar also came out and asked for my number...as opposed to giving him mine I took his...thus taking my blackberry out of my purse and showing that I had something of value.


I then hopped on the back of the bike in the zebra dress and chatted with the driver as we drove towards my apartment.  As we reached the fence of my building the driver stopped and said he had a puncture.  I hopped off the bike and as I asked what to do her reached for and grabbed my bag and camera.  Lucky for me they were both strapped on my wrist.  I yanked back and he came off the bag.  A struggle and a bit of a fist fight ensued.  I screamed as loud as I could.  After about a minute or two he gave up...I am not sure whether it was because I was kicking his ass and refusing to give up or because people were coming to help me.  Ultimately I was shaken, a bit bruised but ok.  Alison and John came over and the incident was reported to the US Embassy Security Team.


I am sharing this because I was very, very lucky.  Just one week later another girl left the same bar, hopped on a boda and the outcome for her was as bad as you can imagine.  At some point in my year here I was bound to be stupid and take a boda late at night - I was lucky and learned the lesson without any damage.  Anyone who is reading this - when you know something is deemed unsafe just DO NOT DO IT.  I was lucky but the next girl was not.


I assure you that I am ok.  I will not be traveling by boda anymore and when going home from the bar in a taxi will always be dropped off first.

No comments:

Post a Comment