Monday, November 9, 2009

The Marine Ball

There was a lot of well-deserved hype about the Marine Ball. I must admit, I figured it was just a night to get dressed up and go to an open bar but there was much more to it.

All across the world on or around November 10 the Marine Birthday is celebrated. This year marked the 234th Birthday of the Marine Corp. The evening began in the late afternoon with a pre-cocktail at the Sheraton before we headed to the official cocktail reception. Once there the attire was quite impressive - lots of great gowns and the men were in their various dress uniforms (those that are military) and tuxes. We entered the ball room, found our tables and the ceremony began. The Marines (there are 7 in Kampala) marched in with the guest of honour - the US Ambassador. There was a video montage celebrating the Marines and remembering the fallen. A birthday cake was cut - and the oldest and youngest Marines shared a symbolic piece. The oldest Marine is 33 and the youngest the same age as my little sisters - 21.

After the ceremony a nice dinner was served followed by hours of dancing....I amazingly kept my heels on the entire evening....but am paying for it now!

The event was more than I expected. I never thought I would be the type to get shivers when anthems and videos are played - but I did. I encourage you to attend one of these events if you ever have the opportunity to do so.

Please click on the title for some photos of the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment