Monday, March 22, 2010

not your regular Sunday night

One of my Kla friends, Vanja, started working on a song in January.  I first heard of this on our Lake Bunyoni road trip but at the time thought this was just a fun project - not something that would actually go anywhere.  The initial line I had heard was "Mzungu...sexy....remember me, we met at Iguana, lets go home and make a little Obama".  I thought it was pretty funny - Iguana Bar is one of those places that you are bound to end up at, likely every couple of weekends if you are in Kla longer-term.


Well by early March the song had been recorded, was being played on radio stations and at the various bars and clubs.  To hear the song go to Little Obama.  After recoding a song the next logical step is to make a video!  Vanja actively recruited her friends and asked us to take part in the video shoot...I can now say I have danced in a music video....and I now have my fingers crossed that I don't look like a complete idiot.


The video shoot took place Sunday night in a warehouse in an area of town we had never been - and likely won't rush back too!  The traffic to get there was pretty horrendous and the directions we received were minimal.  Upon arrival we found that another video was being shot and that we were delayed - it was almost 8pm at this point.  I was a bit worried about how long the whole thing would take but worked to keep a positive outlook (despite a mild hangover from a late Saturday night!)


Warehouse where the video shoot took place
Vanja's set would be the one on the left

Trude and me on set.....waiting

Janet and Sonia arrive, chatting with Keena

The Star begins to get ready

preparations

Trude putting her heels on in anticipation of starting
(she was about 2 hours too early!)

The set is almost ready

Vanja on set

Producer's view

Changing the set for the club scene
(this is what we Mzungu's were needed for!)

Sonia - wondering what we got ourselves into!!

We survived!!!  And its time to go home!!

It was definitely an interesting experience to watch the process unfold.  It was slow at times (but TIA), hot under the lights and unfortunately a Sunday night....but it was still good to go out and support Vanja!!  I look forward to seeing the final product and hope that by hiding in the back of the club scene that I will barely be noticed!

Other than that there is not much new and exciting to report.  My dad is supposed to leave Toronto next Monday to come visit me but he is booked on British Airways!  I have my fingers crossed that the strike doesn't affect his flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment