Sunday, January 31, 2010

Lake Bunyoni

My mom reminded me yesterday that not only is she my most loyal blog follower (although she is not actually one of my listed followers) but also that my Lake Bunyoni update was overdue.


Last weekend I headed to Lake Bunyoni with a group of people that I really didn't know - but figured I should take advantage of the National holiday and make some new friends.  There were seven us in total (6 girls and one guy that had to put up with us for four days!!) and we set an 830am meeting at Lugogo before starting the long drive.  Well we are in Africa so that means that for some there is a different sense of time so by the time we were all gathered and organized and on the road it was after 10.  Terrible traffic slowed us as we left the city but by noon we were at the equator and ready for a snack.  The Aid Child shop (money goes to an orphanage near by) has amazing cinnamon muffins and guac and chips.  They also have clean toilets!!


Great road sign on the Mbarara Road


We arrived at Bunyoni Overland Resort around 730 pm and quickly went top the restaurant to order dinner....which was served about 90 minutes later.  While waiting I had come amazing guac (yes....I ate a lot of guac last weekend).  


Pretty flowers on the wall outside out cottage


I should mention that it is cold at Lake Bunyoni and it rains way more than in Kampala so layers were in full effect.  On Sunday morning - all bundled up - we headed to Byoona Amagara, and island hotel.  We arrived just before the rain really started to fall.  


Threatening sky


Lake Bunyoni in the rain



Watching the rain


The nice thing about rain in Uganda is that when it is over the sky clears, the sun comes out and you can play outside again:)  Monday was spent hiking, swimming, reading, eating and getting a bit sun burnt.  


Clearing sky

Early morning view of the lake

Beautiful Bunyoni

Mokoro (dug-out canoe) that we never managed to go out in

frog that I spotted on our hike

more scenery

It might be one of the most beautiful spots in Uganda

Sonia with a crayfish (the delicacy at the Lake that everyone ate....but me)

the 12 year old boy that ensured we did not get lost as we roamed around the Island

Tuesday morning we left and set off to return to Kla.  The drive home was shorter (or felt that way) and we were back by 430 to get ready for the shortened work week.

One of the best things about getting home was my video skype with Em!!!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah, just saw your shots that grandiose. landscape. What an experience you are having. lookimg foreward to the next days with Oliver, who sends his love along with mine. Omi

    ReplyDelete