Sunday, January 17, 2010

Kampala Weather

Returning from vacation not only meant heading back to work and adjusting to my Kla life it also meant returning to Kla weather.  My four weeks in Southern Africa were for the most part ridiculously hot.  We did have some rain but most of the time it was sunny +32 degree weather.


When I first arrived in Kla I was sure that I had found the perfect environment - clear skies and warm but not too warm weather every day and evenings where I did not need a sweater.  Then came November and the rain...this was not as enjoyable as it brought unpredictable grey skies and thunderstorms like I have rarely seen in my life (perhaps only in Sydney, Australia).  This so-called rainy season was only expected to last a month or so but when I left in mid-December the rains were still hanging around Kla!


On my drive into the city from the airport last week I spoke to Elvis, the driver, about the weather.  Of course it started to rain!  Apparently these crazy weather patterns that have been experienced around the globe have meant that rainy season is not quite over.  Twice in the past week I have managed to get caught in torrential downpour while walking home from the gym.  


Yesterday was especially bad - I had been lying by the pool in what I thought was perfect weather....in the distance I thought I heard thunder but when I looked up there was a blue sky with only a few clouds.  After a few more minutes of solid thunder I looked around and saw the storm rolling in.  I quickly grabbed my things and headed for cover.  In a lull I decided to walk home - after all it is only a 10 minute walk and I am not going to melt from a little rain.  The funny thing about the rain here is everyone seems to hide in doors so as I walked I saw people running into doorways.  The shop owners were all very friendly and many invited me in to get some shelter through the storm.  I chose to make it the whole way and upon arrival my apartment building manager apologized to me (not that he had any control over the weather but the common courtesy here is to apologize whenever misfortune befalls anyone) and had a bit of a laugh at me.


Within 2 hours the sun was back out and I walked back to the club for dinner.  Really the only problem with all this rain is the mud - not only do I end up with very muddy shoes and pants but i often worry that I will slip and end up flat on my back in the mud!  (This has actually happened to me once!!)


Ultimately while I have been complaining about the weather I am still happy to not be piling on the layers to head outdoors:)

No comments:

Post a Comment