Tuesday, January 26, 2010

6 months in Kla

(Update on my weekend trip to Lake Bunyoni to follow in a day or two.)


It was six months ago that I said farewell to friends and family and left Toronto...or tried to leave but had a flight cancelled so in effect did not really leave until the 27th and arrived here in Kampala on July 28, 2009.


It has been quite an adventure thus far.  Some of the highlights have been:

  • getting to witness the Right To Play programs first hand.  Each time I visit our programs I am in awe of the children and the countless volunteers that run the programs.  It reminds me why I had wanted to be part of this organization and the power that play has.
  • the friends I have made.  When living so far from everything that is familiar you meet so many wonderful people.  I have met people from all over the world that are all living in Kampala for different reasons.  We are all bound together having new experiences, facing challenges and for the most part doing what we can to have some impact on the world we live in.
  • the various places I have been lucky enough to visit.  Every time I leave Kampala I am reminded as to why Uganda is called "The Pearl of Africa" - the green rolling hills are beautiful and the people are so friendly.  My 4-week Southern Africa Adventure is one that will never be forgotten.
  • learning every day.  Not only have I been able to learn about our programs and see firsthand what we are doing, I have also begun to understand the immense challenges of running a global organization.
I am certain the next six months will have just as many highlights and challenges.  I am excited to be working on the United Against Malaria Campaign and on the celebration plans for Right To Play's 10 Year Anniversary.  I am also looking forward to a visit from my dad at the end of March - the travel plans for his visit are well underway.  (Those of you that know my dad know that everything needs to be planned to the last detail - just after his ticket was booked he asked me for a proper itinerary in word or excel!!)  I hope to visit some of the RTP projects in other countries in the region and budget permitting this should happen.  I am also planning some more weekend adventures around Kampala and hopefully a long weekend in Kigali, Rwanda.

Thanks to all of you who have been reading and for all of your comments.  A special shout out to my mom who constantly asks me when the next update will be.  Just a reminder I do love updates on what is going on at home so when you get a chance send them my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment