Monday, October 12, 2009

TIA

TIA (This is Africa) has become a common comment between some friends and I whenever anything doesn’t go quite right – stores close early, power goes out etc. Last week I truly experienced TIA!!!

I left Kampala on Friday October 2 and headed east towards Kenya. I had two RTP drivers take me to Sironka Town where we met one of the facilitators for the training I was there for. She accompanied us for another 20km down dirt roads to Budadari and the Waggaigai Hotel where I would stay for the week. I was a bit surprised to find out I was not with the rest of the participants – they stayed in Sironka Town. I was the only guest at the hotel.

Robert, the hotel owner, arranged transport for me to get to and from the training…..the transport was a boda (motor bike)!! On Saturday morning I was a bit nervous but ready to make the journey along the dirt roads on the back of a boda. When the driver arrived (about 20 minutes late of course) we set off. He drove quite quickly and when we reached the tarmac road I glanced at the speedometer and realized he was going 90km/h – I panicked a bit and tried to figure out how to get the driver’s attention and have him slow down!! I managed to get him to slow to 60 and was feeling much better – but also realized he did not know where we were supposed to go. He thought he found the school and rode into a middle of a field. We spoke to a school boy that was able to direct us –the next thing I knew I was the meat in the sandwich on the boda – the school boy hopped on behind me and the three of us road to the school. TIA.

The school was what you would imagine a rural school in Africa to be – a number of small buildings, none with power and Latrine style ‘hole in concrete’ toilets. TIA

The training itself was quite interesting. I was one of 18 people participating – we played games and learned about HIV and AIDS. The goal of the training was to educate new RTP Volunteer Coaches on how to use sport and play to educate children about prevention and to deal with the stigma of being infected. I learned that there are many different cultural differences between the way I, from the Western World and the other participants looked at certain issues.

On Monday the students returned to the school – apparently some had never seen a Mzungu up close and I think my presence was a HUGE distraction. I had children peering out of classroom windows to catch a glimpse of me. It was entertaining and amusing at first but by the end of 5 days it was starting to wear a bit thin – Mzungu….how are youuuuu??? TIA

The hotel I stayed at was nice and I was well-taken care of. Most evenings I just watched a movie on my laptop. There was of course some excitement. When the power went out I experienced darkness like I do not recall being in – I was really in the countryside and there was not a light to be seen. I also shared my room with a mouse – TIA.

Highlights of the week – outside of the training were a quick visit to Sipi Falls and finding Coke Zero!!! Of course the fact that my blackberry functioned almost the entire time was also exciting.

Overall it was quite an experienced, which at times pushed me outside of my comfort zone…..but that is what I am here forJ

TIA

1 comment:

  1. TIA I like this. and the story especially the ending when I figured out you weren't Angela!
    Nice Job, Angela's Aunt Vicky

    ReplyDelete