Monday, September 14, 2009

Workshop, visitor & riots

Well the past week may have been the busiest yet! I participated in a workshop on Early Childhood Development, had my first visitor (Shona came from DRC) and spent some time following security reports during the 2 - 3 days of riots!

The ECD workshop was amazing. The participants, a combination of RTP staff/ volunteers, teachers and Ministry of Education staff, were incredibly enthusiastic, warm and friendly. The week involved a lot of group work, playing games, singing and dancing. not like the workshops I am used to! Overall I think that the group really understood the importance of ECD and the week was a big success.

On Tuesday my friend from MTA, Shona arrived. She has been working in DRC for the past year with Save the Children. It was so nice to have a familiar face around and company at home. She is much more adjusted to life here than I am. She found a tailor around the corner from me and for about $3 I had two pairs of jeans patched!!!

The riots really did not affect me much. We first heard a little bit about them on Thursday afternoon while we were at the workshop. Many participants were staying at a hotel near the workshop venue but those that had to travel were quick to leave at the end of the day. On our drive home (we did not have to cross through downtown, where the major issues were) we encountered one burning tire but got through before the road got blocked. I got my first embassy message from the US around 10pm. On Friday morning I received a message from the Canadian Consulate and another from the US warning us to stay inside and to avoid certain parts of town. The workshop carried on without worry.

By the end of day Friday, the sense of alertness had increased. People were concerned but there was no panic. The RTP office did close and from what I gather many other NGOs did as well. We closed the workshop with a BBQ and ceremony but the party did not last long as people rushed to get home before dark. There was virtually no traffic on the way home and we had no problems at all. The Uganda Country Manager kept me up to date on the situation through the day Saturday and advised me where it was safe to go.

By Saturday night all was calm - we were able to go out for dinner and do a bit of a pub tour! There were fewer people out than I was used to seeing but I assume all will return to normal by this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment