Wednesday, September 23, 2009

odds & ends

Last week things really slowed down - after a week at the ECD workshop & having a Shona here to visit - things seemed slower than they actually were.

My big accomplishments of last week were:
  • realizing that much of what I learned at Rotman, especially in my market research class, could be transferred to the work that I am doing here. We are preparing to do a Baseline Evaluation for our programs in Burundi, and as I talked through the process with our Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) officer it dawned on me that it is really just market research in a totally different context! This was a big relief for me, as M&E has been the areas that I felt that I least understood.
  • I rode a boda boda!! These are the motor-cycle taxis that fly all around Kampala. They are a bit terrifying to see and up until now I have avoided them at all costs. Friday night, however, I was trying to get from one bar to another and there were no taxis anywhere....walking just didn't seem like a sensible choice as it was nearing 11pm and I was by myself, so I hopped on the boda! I must admit, it was actually kind of fun, but I don't think I will make a habit of using them. (Time will tell, as they really are the most efficient mode of travel barring their safety record!)
  • I booked my Christmas adventure - 3-weeks of Overland Travel in a big truck, from Victoria Falls, Zambia through Botswana and Namibia to Cape Town. After reading a whole lot of reviews I finally decided to travel with Intrepid/ Dragoman travel. Fingers crossed I will end up with a good group of people as I will be spending a ton of time with them!
This week, a 4-day week due to a holiday for Eid Celebrations, has once again picked up. Everyone is back in the office after various work trips and there is a ton to be done. I am sensing that the next few weeks will be a bit chaotic - but that is the pace I like to work at:)

No comments:

Post a Comment