Thursday, November 17, 2011

running gear

So it turns out that it isn't quite as exciting to write about my running when I am not in an exotic location.  In fact, while I am beginning to like the running a bit more, it doesn't compare to the joy I felt when someone cheered me on in the park in Mali!


As part of my investing time into running I have also invested in 'gear'.  I have been known to have a bit of a shopping habit so this hasn't been much of a strain for me.  I started with 3/4 length running tights, a shirt, socks and a sweater.  Then it was new shoes....my previous ones were pre-Uganda (July 2009).  I got asics, which is a new brand for me, and I have to say I felt a difference when I changed into them.  The next purchase has been more winter wear - a long sleeve running shirt, a jacket and a head band.  (I am now looking at running gear as an investment for my next adventure - trekking in Nepal....I will need good layers!)  And I found my old digital watch so I can check that off my list.


And the running:
November 3 - a group run....I ran a shorter distance but for the first time made it back to the start point in time for a closing chat!  Around 7.5km.
November 8 - first run in the new shoes!  Running on my own in the morning.  5.4km
November 10 - a group run.  I was really nervous when I saw the route for the day.  The circuit start point keeps getting further from the gym.  I headed out a couple minutes early and was able to start the circuit with the group.  On my second loop I picked up the pace and passed my running partner (or the man I am generally grouped with)!  9km!!
November 13 - solo run again.  Boring.  Though I did learn how to use map my run so I could plot out the 7km that I needed to cover.  7.4km.  I think it took me around 55 minutes.
November 15 - running with Julia.  We did our 5.4km loop.  My left leg felt dead while we jogged but I found when I picked up pace my stride changes and everything feels better.  new fastest time for the loop in 32 minutes!


I did spend close to two hours at physio this evening trying to identify my various aches and pains.  I probably shouldn't have given it up when I first started physio for a nerve issue in June.  No worries though - Jessica doesn't think I am completely insane for planning on running the marathon.  Hopefully my fitness assessment on Friday doesn't indicate otherwise!


Another group run tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment