Tuesday, May 4, 2010

WEF so far....


Friday morning I left Kampala to head to Dar es Salaam to support the team during Johann's visit and to do some work on the UAM campaign.  Upon arrival at the airport I was a bit worried as the security lines was HUGE.  UN troops from Jordan were getting on a flight - I am not sure where they were coming from or where they were going.  Luckily they let me jump in front of them.  The Air Uganda direct flight was sooo much better than connecting through Nairobi which I did on my previous trip and by 130pm I was at our office in Dar.


Friday consisted of some rushed meetings - first at the office and then at Uhuru Girls Primary school with some colleagues that are part of the UAM campaign to discuss our event that would take place on Monday.  Dar is super hot and humid so it was a great relief to get to my super air conditioned room late in the day.  In the evening I went to a birthday party and then called it an early night.


Saturday was a free day so I set off to explore a bit.  I am staying on the Maasani Pennisula and I had read about the Slipway - a collection of shops and restaurants on the water.  I walked there and promptly searched for a store with AC to cool down.  I spent a good half hour in the bookstore an bought a new book on Africa.  (yes - I know books are heavy and am a bit worried about how they will weigh me down when its time to come back to Toronto).  I had a frapuccino...though it was not what I expected it to be.  After some shopping I enjoyed a sushi lunch!!  Yes I had sushi and tempura!!!




Simon, the Tanzania Country Manager picked me up at 945pm and we headed to the airport to pick up Johann.  He arrived without a hitch, we dropped him off at his hotel and I was back at mine by midnight!


Sunday was a busy day.  We had a staff meeting at the office, a press conference, a field visit and then an interview.


Johann and Simon ready from the Press Conference

Children warming up at PASADA
PASADA is an RTP partner that provides HIV and AIDS treatment - all of the children participating are HIV positive

Cooling down post-activities

post-activity discussion

this girl had a great story about how participating in RTP games had given her the confidence to tell her parents about a family friend that was abusing her - she is 11 years old

Johann and the PASADA group

Chicken Tikka Subway Sandwich I had between the activities and the interview
(only the second time in 9 months I have had Subway!!!)

Upon returning to the hotel I had time for a quick shower and a skype chat with my familiy prior to a dinner meeting to review the plans for the next day with the UAM Africa co-ordinator, publicist and cameraman!  (I should mention that this was only the second skype chat in 9 months and that it was a first for my mom....I think she is still getting over the 'cool factor' of being able to see me!)

Monday was the big event.  We hosted 20 World Economic Forum Young Global Leaders (YGLs) at one of our schools, Uhuru Girl's Primary School.  In addition to the YGLs, members of the Twiga Stars (Tanzanian Women's Footballers) and Yvonne Chakka Chakka participated.  We had 150 children playing malaria games and each received a mosquito net that was donated by A to Z textiles, a Tanzanian company.  Overall the day was a great success - it was amazing to see the pride that the school and staff had in RTP!!

climbing a pole - coconut style- to hang a banner

sign made by the school to welcome the YGLs

Activities underway

Head teacher, Yvonne Chakka Chakka and Simon

Johann playing

YGLs discussing challenges with mosquito nets

Johann addressing the YGLs and some teachers
(note the baloons and RTP pictures - the TZ team decorated the classroom)

Uhuru School Staff

Today has been a bit of a catch up day.  Due to the extreme WEF traffic and road closures it was decided that I would work at the hotel as opposed to spending an hour plus each way to get to the office.  Tomorrow we will attend some meetings and in the evening I will attend a Standard Bank event.

I know there are no pictures of me....I have been busy trying to capture all the events and get pictures of Johann for the website and annual reports.  I will try to get some before the week is out!

No comments:

Post a Comment