Thursday, April 22, 2010

Volcano Disruptions


Picture from Fox News

My dad left Kampala last Tuesday April 13 early in the morning in one of the worst rain storms I have seen in a while.  He made it to London with the plan to spend three nights with our family friends before heading home on Friday April 16.  Well....he is STILL in London.  I think he is one of the lucky stranded passengers as he has been staying with friends and has taken advantage of the opportunity to get to know London a bit better.  I think the person really suffering is my mom, who is home all by herself and currently engaged in a war against a tail-less raccoon that she encountered on the deck.  I think she should take the time to enjoy the peace and quiet as within the week she will have not only my dad but also two sisters back in the house.  It will be Chaos!!!

I will sidetrack for a moment to talk about the munchkins - maybe at 21 they are getting too old to be munchkins?  They are finishing university!!  Well Caroline is officially done - she wrote her last exam on Tuesday and then promptly headed to NSLC (the liquor store) to get some champers and celebrate.  Good for her!!  She completed her Commerce Degree at Dalhousie University (I think with a specialty in finance) and would be a great addition to any company.  If you know of anyone looking for a super talented finance guru, who happens to be a great chef on the side please let me know.  She will return to Toronto next week.  Emily is still in exams.  I think that in 8 exam periods at Queen's University she has ended up with the final one at least 6 times.  How unfair is that!  But she is on the final stretch, has completed and defended her thesis and she too will be back in Toronto within the week.  She will start work at Toronto General Hospital (I think as a researcher in the ICU) in mid-May.  It will definitely be nice to have them both back in Toronto when I get there:)


E & C on somewhere on the California Coast

E, C and big bro (well my little bro) Oliver in Santa Monica

Back to volcano disruptions!  Last weekend I attended two welcome back dinners for people that had been out of Kampala for a while.  Well - the returnees did not make it back - they were stranded!!  We toasted them an enjoyed great food (on Friday at my fave Tuhendes and on Sunday a great Middle East themed potluck at Peter's).  The volcano has also caused some work related issues - one of my colleagues was supposed to arrive in Kampala last Friday to assist the team with some reports but her trip has now been cancelled:(  

In other news - last week I went to a Pilates class, a yoga class and had a squash lesson!!  All were fun and I planned to keep it up this week but have been sick with a head cold so played it smart and have been catching up on rest.  This weekend we will have a welcome back dinner as hopefully Trude will have made it out of Europe and back to Africa:)

No comments:

Post a Comment