Wednesday, February 17, 2010

one year post-op

Today marks one year since I had my right ACL reconstructed - it was the second reconstruction and third surgery on a very battered knee.  My knee still looks pretty scarred and ugly but is fully-functioning and occasionally serves a a conversation piece (especially since I have almost matching scars on the left knee!).


Jobst Pump designed to minimize the swelling in my knee


I must admit that I still have days that I think about playing rugby - most often when it is cool and there is a light rain here.  To me it is the perfect conditions....it becomes a forwards game and is a slower game.  Since I was not fast and will likely never be, slow games were my favourite.  This weather also means mud and for some reason there is something oddly satisfying about playing for 80 minutes and coming off the field covered head to toe in mud.


Mom, Dad - do not worry.  Days when I consider for a second about returning to rugby I remember the weeks on the couch with one leg or another in the jobst pump or being iced.  I must admit my speedy recoveries were due to a lot of help at home re-filling my ice cooler and a fortune spent on physio.


In news from Kla - I went to another restaurant that I had not been to on Friday - Haandi - and it was pretty good!  I was very excited on Saturday morning when I woke up at 5am and actually found the Olympic Opening Ceremonies on live!!  I have been avidly watching whenever I can and have likely spent hours online reading about the results that I miss.  While I am so happy that there is some coverage I am not always sure what the producers are thinking.  For example on Monday night's coverage they were switching between the women's 10km cross-country, the snowboard cross preliminary rounds and the men's downhill.  When there are medals on the line why air preliminary rounds!!!  And if you have already stated who the winner is in the cross-country why keep going back to it!!  Ultimately I only saw about 8 skiers in the downhill....missed the all the Canadians and the gold-medal run so needless to say was a wee bit disappointed....yet still happy there was coverage:)


On Sunday I managed to get lost along a road that I have been driven on almost every day for the past six months!  One little turn and you end up in a whole new area.  I managed to sort it out and ended up walking twice as far as necessary to reach my destination....not so fun with the humidity we have been having but I can now say I have explored a new part of Kla!







No comments:

Post a Comment