Thursday, February 11, 2010

new discoveries, odds & ends

Over the past week I have had a bunch of new experiences in Kampala - this is exciting as it is so easy to settle into routine and stick with what I know.

Last Friday evening we went to Steak Out for dinner.  I had heard of the place but had not yet been there.  I should mention most of what I had heard had to do with Thursday night "Rock Night" and not with the food but we decided to give it a try.  I understand why it is better known as a bar than a restaurant due to its set up BUT the food was yummy.  The steak was good and the side of veggies was amazing (cooked in butter!).

On Saturday a rather large group of us went to The Lawns for dinner.  Most of had not been there before and I think we were all pleasantly surprised.  While it is a bit more expensive than most Kampala restaurants the setting and service were amazing.  They even have Game Meat and I tried Crocodile.  I think that may need to be repeated - I actually tried Crocodile.  It was a bit chewy!

Earlier today I went to a new supermarket.  It was big and most importantly cheap!  They had coke light (still have not found coke zero in Kla) for only 1000UGX (around $0.50) and Skippy Peanut Butter.

Other than my new Kla discoveries there is not too much exciting to report on.  I think I have been experiencing bad weather karma ever since I posted about it on FB - it has gone from ridiculously hot to cold and rainy and now back to hot.  My poor body has gone on strike and I have been suffering with a nasty head cold for most of the week.

Below are a few pictures from recent visits to the field.

Children listening to the R-C-A post activity

little boy that I was next to during one of the games

very young girl (with a disability - birth defect left her with one shorter leg) an activity for a group of 20 or so

same girl - smiling and playing away

younger children watching an activity in Soroti
(this is from my November visit to the area)

The next few weeks will be busy as we prepare for the Regional Planning meetings starting at the beginning of March.

No comments:

Post a Comment